logo
twitter

News

GROUPAMA GAMBLE SET TO PLAY OUT

Groupama 4 in light winds along Africa coast
Groupama 4 in light winds along Africa coast © Yann Riou / Groupama Sailing Team

Will Groupama’s coastal gamble pay off? The next 24 hours will tell, as the French team and the huge lead they have accumulated close to the west African shore come under threat from a new weather system and three rivals sick of taking losses in the windless west.

“I have nervous moments for sure, but I don’t share them. I just share my hopes. We’ve done everything we wanted to do up to now" - Franck Cammas


A bold move from skipper Franck Cammas? The Frenchman says not, he was expecting the other boats to go the same way when he made his call inside the first two days of Leg 1. But whatever the motivation – and a team choosing Highway to Hell as their anthem might be expected to take a few risks – the only significant question now is whether it was a wise one.

As of 1300 UTC on Thursday, the decision had brought them a lead of 140 nautical miles over Team Telefónica, who are ahead of PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG and CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand. Those three teams followed conventional wisdom by deciding that west is best when it comes to reaching the way point at Fernando de Noronha off the coast of Brazil.

While it’s a case of so far so good for Cammas, leading the first French entry in the race for 18 years, weather forecasts point to a new low pressure weather system that could come in to destroy the trade winds to their south.

The nightmare scenario for Groupama is to see their three main rivals starting to exploit the new system from Friday afternoon. By the following day, the trio could be hitting boat speeds of 18 knots in the pure trade winds, eating into the lead of a French team whose current speed is around 14 knots.

“It was not our choice to go alone,” Cammas said via the Inmarsat-powered phone bridge in a conference call from Groupama 4. “Of course the Anglo-Saxons would say that the French boat went for the lonely path, but really that wasn’t our choice.

“I have nervous moments for sure, but I don’t share them. I just share my hopes. We’ve done everything we wanted to do up to now.

“We have never been surprised by the light wind areas – they were all announced by the routing -- but we are now entering another area and have a doubt about tomorrow, with light winds expected. We will have to deal with it to find a passage and make it work. On the other hand we have more wind than expected so we are a bit in advance, which is always good.”

The other great unanswered question on Thursday was how Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing would progress with their replacement mast.

Ian Walker’s team resumed Leg 1 officially at 0216 UTC on Thursday after returning to the point to the point where they were forced to suspend racing when their mast snapped in horrific conditions on Saturday, just six hours into the race.

Sailing with a new mast, and with no more replacements in the locker, means the team will take a cautious approach.

“It is not normal practice to step a new mast and set off in the dark and straight offshore – new masts can sometimes take days to tune up but we don’t have that time,” Walker said.

“We also don’t have the safety of a spare mast waiting for us if anything goes wrong. The stakes are now very high and we must sail accordingly.

“Right now we are taking it one step at a time. We will not sail fully loaded tonight until we can check everything in daylight.

“Just like falling off a horse it takes time to regain your confidence but you simply have to get back on it as soon as you can.

For the three boats in the west, the continued sailing in light winds was proving frustrating but the tight battle between Telefónica and PUMA’s Mar Mostro was at least a welcome distraction.

“Now I get up on deck for four hours to struggle with the little wind there is, and to see if we can manage to put some distance between us and PUMA, who have been snapping at our heels since we left Alicante,” wrote Telefónica helmsman Pablo Arrarte.

“At night, we can see their navigation lights and by day we see them pretty well, given that we haven't been further than 10 miles apart.”

CAMPER were 90 nm further away from the way point than PUMA after choosing to head further north in a bid to catch stronger winds earlier.

Team Sanya, the sixth entry in the race, were forced to pull out of Leg 1 because of damage to the hull. They have finalised plans to ship the boat to Cape Town in the hope of completing repairs before the second in-port race on December 10 and the start of Leg 2 to Abu Dhabi the following day. 

Source Volvo Ocean Race


Le site officiel de la course en français
The official website in english
Imprimante enveloppe partager sur Facebook partager sur Twitter partager sur LinkedIn partager sur Viadeo partager sur Delicious

Display the whole heading


Journal Lorient-La Base

Visuel journal Lorient-La Base

Émission animée tous les jours en direct à 18h par le journaliste-navigateur Pierre-Yves Lautrou

Institutional partners

Lorient Agglomération

Conseil Général du Morbihan

Région Bretagne

La Ville de Lorient

Official suppliers

  • Veolia
  • Azimut
  • Inter Pôle
  • Lori SI

Bretagne Business Club

logo Bretagne Business Club

Follow the race

>view the race tracker

Share the info

Imprimante enveloppe partager sur Facebook partager sur Twitter partager sur LinkedIn partager sur Viadeo partager sur Delicious

Enter the virtual game

The Game

Newsletter

Subscribe to newsletter

Vol Lorient - Porto
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
©2011-2019 Azimut Communication - Website design & Interactive kiosks
legal information  |  site map  |  RSS  |  Contact us